View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #5
Janey-M
Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Janey-M , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As moffatm asks, any error message displayed would be useful.

I can think of two things to try.

The app stores books and a database on the computer. It might not have removed or handled these properly during the uninstall/reinstall process. I would unsinstall again, completely remove these files and directories and then do another install. But, Kobo support should have suggested this. If you have a Windows Vista or 7 machine, the directory can be found with:

Code:
%LOCALAPPDATA%\Kobo
If you open an explorer window and type that in the location at the top and press enter, the correct directory will open. Delete the directory and everything in it.

The other possibility is the firewall. It might be blocking access from the app to the Kobo server. The simple test is to turn the firewall of for a few minutes and try to login. If that works, then you will need to configure the firewall to allow the app to talk to the server. How to do that depends on the firewall you have.
Yes, Kobo told me to uninstall all the files using %localappdata% etc., but it made no difference.

The firewall idea is definitely something different. Trouble is, I'm a self-taught "Silver Surfer" so my knowledge is limited. I understand about turning the firewall off/on, but no idea how to configure it.
Janey-M is offline   Reply With Quote