View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #16
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I fancy myself to be a power user. Yet, I too only use a small subset of Calibre features. But, and it is very important But, I use different subset of features than you or other users. This is what makes in such a great program. This is exactly reason I like for example Vim text editor. If you need some obscure, super-specialized feature it is there, waiting to be discovered.
I tried to imagine other ways to use calibre than the way I do, and came up with a bunch of different potential scenarios and uses and I probably only barely scratched the surface in my imagination. Sometimes reading other posts here I 'boggle' at how people use calibre. Vim - that brings back not-so-fond memories of vi, but it looks good, thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
EPUB is my primary format, but I don't think of it as a "master" source. Specifically, I don't agree with this advice from the OP: "Pick one format, ePub or mobi, standardize on it…." Space is cheap and when I want to read something, I don't always want to convert to EPUB format first. I may just open the best format I have and read that. If it's good, then I'll probably convert (often in the middle of reading it). I certainly don't want to wait until all my books are converted to perfect EPUBs before starting to read them.
I don't agree with that 100% either, so I excluded things that don't convert well. I delete most original incoming formats because I get confused when a record contains multiple formats as to which is the best, so for me it's KISSiest to keep only one - if it converted well. It sounds like your standards for an "okay" end-product (after conversion and/or clean-up) are probably a lot higher than mine, because I've found that most formats including even most relatively-recent pdfs convert well enough to be only "mildly annoying to me" (or better) after cleanup of hdrs/ftrs/page# - mildly annoying being my lowest standard for inclusion in nearly all cases. And for me, I'm speaking of 98% fiction. Technical things and complex graphics excluded. I often wait awhile before cleanup so I can batch things with similar cleanup problems together. Speaking only for me, it's KISSiest when I convert, evaluate, clean it up then delete original format (or postpone cleaning while keeping original meantime), and tag first before reading. So far. I'm sure the way I do things will gradually change.

Different strokes. Different users. Different uses. Different purposes. Different standards of what's ok or not. Different workflows. Different methods. If it works comfortably well for someone, it's all good. If it doesn't work comfortably well, try doing it a different way. I've been trying doing things different ways for months. I don't consider the ways I'm doing things now as good or final - I think of it all as incrementally testing and improving the ways that I do things. And it's great to get feedback.

Last edited by unboggling; 08-10-2011 at 09:06 PM.