View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar View Post
I am also doing a similar research, not very seriously yet. Right now I'm dumping the images of the mounted partitions, using commands like this:

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5 of=/extsd/data.img

In principle one can recover the partitions, by interchanging if and of. Of course, this will only work if the system is more-or less working (either WIFi + sshd, as I'm doing now, or adb over USB). I'll also dump the non-mounted partitions.

There must be a way (a special key combination?) which would initiate the system recovery, from mmcblk0p2 on a hardware level (even with a bricked unit). Does anyone know how to do that? I heard Kobo's customer support can be very helpful in this matters - may be I should send them an email. I tried many different combinations (simultaneously pressing two or more of power, volume up/down, back, menu, home buttons) - either from a powered on, or powered off positions, to no avail.
I've just recently sent an email asking about some development details, but you should definitely ask for anything you need. The email address I used to use was coderequest@kobo.com but I'm not sure if the Vox team is using the same one.

You might want to try PMing the Kobo members of the forum. I've had good experiences with that.

As for hardware reset, nothing I've tried works. So I'm not sure what it could be.

Last edited by jefftheworld; 11-12-2011 at 05:02 PM.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote