View Single Post
Old 08-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I am glad that we read this book. It was an interesting and unique choice. I can safely say that I never would have heard of this book or author if not for the book club. I wish I had read Gulliver's Travels at some time in the past to understand its influence on Swift.

I also would describe it as more fantasy than science fiction. I enjoyed reading the article on proto-SF that fantasyfan posted (thanks again!) since I do not know much about the history of the science fiction genre. There were some lines that were laugh out loud funny. It was very imaginative. I am very glad that I read an annotated version so I was able to understand the allusions to the works that were the object of his satire. I am also thankful that the version I read also included an appendix of selections from works of that time period, placing the parody in context. Therefore this work was also an insightful read for me. I fully admit that I am very ignorant of classical literature and mythology.

How ironic that there is little biographical information of Lucian except what he tells in his works that may or not be autobiography. Because of his sarcasm, scholars can't trust the truth of his writing.

What a great concluding line! I hope no one waited patiently for the sequels.
Quote:
Our fortunes on the continent will be the subject of the following books.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote