Thread: New firmware
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #164
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Here's why I ask: Yesterday, I was reading an epub book in FBreader. It froze and I had to reset it. When it reset, it went back to the main menu but I could NOT open any book with FBreader180. In fact, I got to the point where I deleted the FBreader180 from the PB360 and I STILL could not open any book with FBreader (not even the default).
When you installed FBReader180, did you copy the "system" folder just like that? If so, when you deleted FBReader you deleted the whole app, not the hack.

Let me explain: the reader program files in the Pocketbook are usually hidden. They're called fbreader.app and adobeviewer.app. What you do when you install FBReader by simply dragging the "system" folder is to OVERWRITE the normal, invisible fbreader.app file with a new, visible fbreader.app file. Thus, when you deleted the visible fbreader.app file, you simply took away the program from the reader. Of course, it wouldn't allow you to use a program for which there is no file.

What the hack programmers allow you to do is, following their instructions, renaming the hacked version (for example, "fbreader180.app") and changing the extensions.cfg file so that it opens things with "fbreader180.app" by default, with you still being allowed to use the normal fbreader.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote