Thread: New firmware
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #160
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
If I may add -

I'm running version 15.2, mainly because I really, really like the double tap option to go back to the main menu.

However.

It does crash. I was wondering if maybe 15.2 is not playing well with FBreader 180 and the extensions.cfg file which makes FBreader180 the default?

Here's why I ask: Yesterday, I was reading an epub book in FBreader. It froze and I had to reset it. When it reset, it went back to the main menu but I could NOT open any book with FBreader180. In fact, I got to the point where I deleted the FBreader180 from the PB360 and I STILL could not open any book with FBreader (not even the default). The screen would flash and I would still be on the main page. Interestingly enough, the book I was trying to open would move to the top of my Last Open Books list (I am running Cleanlook theme ... if that makes any difference).

No matter what I did, I could NOT get any version of FBreader to open a book. But, I could open an epub/PDF book with Adobe. Weird.

Eventually, I ended up hard resetting the device (with version 15.2 on it). Once I did that, I put FBreader180 and the .cfg file back on the device and everything was fine - once I fixed all my settings. Oh, and I put FBreader180 version 0.9.0 on, as I thought the new updates to FBreader180 might have caused the problem...

Then, today, I am reading a library epub (with DRM) with Adobe. I had to select to read with Adobe as that .cfg file makes it default to FBreader180.

Then it happened. The reader froze and when I did a reset (just a button push on the back) - could NOT open any ebooks with the Adobe program - yet I COULD open books with FBreader180. It was the same problem as before, but this time with Adobe instead of FBreader!

I was "lucky" this time as resetting the device while it was hooked to my PC brought back the Adobe function. And, as I type, it's "fine."

So, I don't think it's the new version of FBreader. I believe that, somehow, version 15.2 isn't "playing nice" with FBreader180 and/or that .cfg file that makes the reader default to FBreader180. Please note, I am not a programmer, just a consumer...

I'm hanging in there with 15.2 - but mostly because I get nervous messing with ADE authorizations (it is such a pain in the ... kneecap ... to deal with Adobe to get more authorizations!).

Anyway. Any thoughts on this behavior? I can add more details should anyone have any questions.

Thanks.

Marilyn

Last edited by Mickey330; 06-06-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Grammar.
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote