View Single Post
Old 04-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #17
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bailey View Post
It depends on how the books are stored I would imagine. I hardly use bit torrent myself, so don't have much experience.

If they are just a torrent file that points to a big archive file, you may not be able to pick what you download, but with Linux distros I torrent at least, there is the option of looking inside a directory that contains all the downloadable files, and picking the ones you want.

It would I imagine, make sense from a bandwidth angle, to allow people to get only the stuff they want instead of everything like it or not.

And knowing the illegal torrent community, there is more than likely someone with the collected works of every major author in a given genre in one huge carefully sorted multi format torrent download.
Most ebooks on bittorrent networks seem to be compressed archives.
I can understand that, since most books are either TXT, HTML, or LIT files.
Also a lot are PDF. PDF doesn't compress that well. Nevertheless many are compressed in large archives. I even found a 4GB archive with about 23 thousand books. Many of which are public domain books. If I would want to download that rar file, I'm also forced to download the copyrighted books.
(Or not download anything at all).
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote