View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
crackhammer
Enthusiast
crackhammer began at the beginning.

Device: Nook touch, iPad, Xoom
PDF vs CBR/CBZ

Hello folks,

I am not really too sure if this is a right section to post this question. If its wrong, mods, feel free to move.

Its been about 5 years since I got into scanning my book library business and I chose exclusively pdf files as final output. I managed to get some files into a reasonable file size, some are still as large as 400mb+. These large files can not be opened on any portable device that I own (iPad 1st Gen, Xoom 1st Gen LTE, HTC One X or Droid Razr), Hence, I am forced to use laptop.

On an experiment basis, I exported that book to jpeg files, resampled jpegs to 150dpi in addition to adjusting their dimensions using Fotosizer. Those images, I can easily open on my portable devices and can read without any troubles. I do not need OCR for all books (actually I hardly need OCR because majority of my books have colorful biology images).

So I started thinking, how about using CBR or CBZ format (i.e. comic book format) for my books? I wonder if pdf aficionados can comment on what pdf format offers extra in addition to CBZ (apart from OCR, highlighting and commenting), that I should stick to pdf formats for future scans.

Many thanks for your comments.

Bonus question - Does anyone know good CBR/CBZ reader app for iOS and Android? I tried VReader for iOS, worked well for a while and then crashed. Since then the library is wiped out (but the files are still there). The developer won't answer the question.)
crackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote