View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
tarvoke
Dog Dentist
tarvoke began at the beginning.

Device: PE, GT540, VM670, GOGHVMU, Qualcomm 1600
even back before allmine, when we were all rooting ourselves and messing with build.prop and whatnot to get Market and gapps working, was around the same time google changed market to google Play - and the Market app on the PE would automatically upgrade itself to Play even back then.

I've never seen market/play upgrade anything (aside from itself) without asking, so I think that much should be safe. (unless you have automatic updates turned on, of course. but I think by default it is off, and asks you if you want to upgrade stuff)

the only 2 softwares I know for sure that have broken my PE are:
- letting kindle app upgrade to newer versions, then trying to run it
- letting google reader upgrade to newer versions, then trying to run it
in both cases the app would crash my PE and in the process make it unbootable due to system corruption.

I have gmail and google voice updated to latest, and they are fine.

I haven't upgraded google talk to hangouts or whatever the new version is, partially because I don't use talk so much anymore, partly because I'm sure they added crap or bloat to it, and mostly because I worry if they added UI bits that are technically compatible with 2.2.1 but functionally vs. the PE will not work (this slight mismatch in UI APIs is why latest kindle and google reader are broken. corrupting the PE memory is just some weird bonus)

I regret not having a backup of kindle, or at least I should have written down the version number of the older version that worked properly. really not willing to try the latest from the store, after what happened last time... :-(

actually I really, really regret it, because kindle was my main use of the PE for a long time now. had even been meaning to get it working with the lcd2eink stuff.

EDIT:

ha ha, I must be blind. but also lucky. just noticed helf's thread right next to this one, sounds like the latest kindle works again after all. before seeing that thread, I'd considered trying it, but really did not feel brave enough.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2620635
/EDIT

Last edited by tarvoke; 09-11-2013 at 11:32 AM.
tarvoke is offline   Reply With Quote