View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #60
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I third Fifth Business. The description didn't pull me in right away, but issybird saying it's her favourite Canadian novel has me intrigued.

With my last nomination I had a hard time deciding between three books including The Stone Angel by Margaret Laurence (Canadian) and The Colony of Unrequited Dreams by Wayne Johnston (Canadian), but I finally chose (the one from the U. S.):

I nominate A Separate Peace by John Knowles.

From Amazon:

Set at a boys’ boarding school in New England during the early years of World War II, A Separate Peace is a harrowing and luminous parable of the dark side of adolescence. Gene is a lonely, introverted intellectual. Phineas is a handsome, taunting, daredevil athlete. What happens between the two friends one summer, like the war itself, banishes the innocence of these boys and their world.

A bestseller for more than thirty years, A Separate Peace is John Knowles’s crowning achievement and an undisputed American classic.

"A masterpiece." - National Review

"A model of restraint, deeply felt and beautifully written." - The Observer
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote