View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Even if that is the case, it still doesn't make it right. In fact, it makes it pretty bad.
Yes, sorry--I admit I'm hardly unbiased, but I have to agree with my bud Wolfie on this. I double-checked this book; it has slightly larger fonts for the title page, naturally, and his chapter heads. That's it.

Here's what I do suspect: I suspect that they never thought about embedded fonts. We have a different font for his Chapter Heads. Not something outlandish, just a small change from the body text default (usually TNR) for variety. I'm waiting to see what they come back with, because SW is not Apple. I already play a guessing game with Apple every time an ePUB comes back (just got one back that they won't publish because--GASP!--the publisher mentions that there are Audible.com editions [for the love of Thor, it's not like Apple has an Audiobook division, y'know!], so they won't publish it, because of course, Audible is owned by The Evil Empire, Amazon, so their error message states that the publisher can't list links to competitors).

But my point remains: if SW has decided to grow up and accept ePUBs, then a) accept ePUBs or b) at least publish guidelines that say something like, "ooops, we can't take anything with an embedded font," and the other list of ten thousand things that won't work. Trust me when I say making commercial books is difficult enough as it is--trying to make a book that will work on every device, across myriad platforms, with all the technical constraints, plus the BS constraints (don't mention those Audible editions for the vision-impaired, bygod!), etc., without trying to GUESS at what the hell SW is doing. URGH.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote