View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
This is a known issue and seems to be very common problem. You don't need to follow this topping off solution. After you have charged the reader 100%, simply power it off. Then after you power it back on it will be fine.
Yes, this technique of powering fully off (which reboots the entire device) will also work to solve the rapid drain problem. I have also been using it for the last few months with good results. My "topping off" procedure which was posted above also works, but is more difficult to do.

The powering off procedure did not work at one point - (I know, I tried it and was disappointed), so that was why more experimentation was done and the topping off technique discovered. But at some point, a firmware update was done that made the powering off work for this problem.

I should mention here that the latest update to 1.2 has changed things in this area. Powering off still seems to work, but it works differently. It used to be that after I recharged and powered off and turned it on, it would stay at 100% for at least 3 days, even in use. Then it would gradually start to drop.

But after the 1.2 update, it now starts to drop immediately after I turn it back on. At first, I thought that it was going to start draining rapidly again and that the poweroff technique no longer works. But no, it still drains correctly now after the poweroff, it just doesn't sit at 100% for 3 days anymore. This is clearly more accurate.

In fact, I am kind of hoping that maybe the 1.2 update fixed the entire rapid-drain problem for me. Maybe I no longer have to poweroff (or top off) my Touch after a recharge. I'll know as soon as I charge it again in about 4 or 5 days.

As far as the problems of the OP in this particular thread, I agree with what others have said that such an extreme rapid drain (overnight!) is probably a different problem. But maybe getting it up to the current firmware level will fix it, since as I mentioned, firmware updates can change things in this area.

Last edited by RAH; 12-07-2012 at 07:28 AM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote