View Single Post
Old 04-07-2012, 04:38 PM   #9
joe-man
joe-man began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle 2, iPad 2, iPod Touch, Nook Tablet
I have one of the 16 GB Nook Tablets, loaded with a 32 GB miniSD card, and my overall impression is:

It is really hard to overstate just how terrible the BN store is. The selection of apps is abysmal, and buying books there is a lot harder and less pleasant than on Amazon.

I got it mainly for testing, but because I already have the Kindle Fire, 16 GB iPad 2 and 8 GB iPod Touch, I figured I might as well have one portable with a large amount of storage space in case I am on a trip and want to bring videos or other types of media. Which still holds true.

However, on a day to day basis I rarely touch the Nook Tablet, whereas I use the Kindle Fire constantly. That 8GB storage limit is not very significant at all when I am within a wireless range because most of my media is either streamed from Amazon or transferred via Dropbox. The Amazon app store is probably 20 times larger than BN's, and book buying at Amazon is a piece of cake.

In my particular case, I do have Amazon Prime (incredible value program if it fits your needs!), and Dropbox is a key piece of my workflow from Mac-PC-iOS-Android etc, etc and back again. So for me, the Fire is one of the best things I own, my go-to consumption device for all activities that do not require typing.

Taking a trip outside of WiFi range, I will use the Nook Tablet - don't travel that much though.

So in answer to the question: I would put the Nook Tablet price point no higher than $100. Yeah, it holds 16GB: But there is hardly anything to load onto it. 2GB would have been plenty.
joe-man is offline   Reply With Quote