View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Borrowing E-books, but buying Paper Books.

I had wanted to post more about this in other threads (the drm hating thread and the pirate thread etc), but I didn't want to give off the impression that I approve of copyright theft and robbing authors of money. Nor, was the post really fitting with either topic, actually.

I've posted elsewhere that the main reason I bought the T1 is because of the ease of library borrowing. This is not to replace borrowing paper books or buying paper books, but as a convenient accessory to carry on my normal book habits. It's a bonus for me during times when there are physical or transportation issues, to still be able to read what I like and borrow what I like.

One of the reason I largely still buy and own printed books is because it is still legal to share a book around to an infinite amount of people without breaking any laws. Its low-tech and always works.

I have amassed a large enough amount of printed books that loaning one physical book out to a friend is really not a big deal to me, even if that friend keeps the book for weeks, months, or years. Not to mention that while said friend is reading a book of mine, I am likely simultaneously reading a book of his. The end result is that it's really (physical technicality aside) in *experience* no different that when I have put one book down and stuck it on the shelf to read another.

This is one reason why I think that printed books are not going to be on the way out at least not soon. There is so much more legal flexibility with a paper book that just hasn't made it to the e-book world. Even books that I never share with another single soul, my copy is my copy. E-books are difficult to implement the same flexibilities (legally).

This is why I will happily pay $8 for a paperback book, yet will gasp in horror if I am asked to shell out its equivalent in DRM e-book format. But I will happily pay that much for a book at Smashwords if I think I will like it.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote