View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #9732
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
Did everyone else know that Mercedes Lackey wrote a new Diane Tregarde mystery?.
Yes, I read the entire book last year.

It's actually a set of three novellas: one new Diana Tregarde which is a standalone prequel story to her novel-length adventures kind of showing how Diana got into the business to begin with; one new Jennifer Talldeer which is a sequel to her own novel and showing her Further Adventures; and one new novella featuring an entirely new character who's a technomage dealing with problems arising in a gaming environment.

It was okay, and the Talldeer story was the best of the lot (the Tregarde was a little problematic in terms of her established personal timeline and the depiction of one of the characters). I say wait for used or the e-book to drop to less-than-paperback prices if you can't get it at the library.

Worth a read if you liked the characters, but I did not consider the writing quality to be engaging enough to splurge on.

As for me, finished another Fictionwise purchase: Marta Randall's Islands, a philosophical-slice-of-life sf novel about one of the last mortal humans amidst the new generation of genetically engineered Immortals. The author revised it for e-publication and added a little introductory note to the front.

It's told vignette-style, with lots of little flashback scenes interweaving the main action, and lays out the attitudes and contrasts between mortality and immortality in gradually building scenelets.

I'm actually not sure where this one was really supposed to go, as I'd started reading it until about 1/3rd way through, then stopped to finish some other books, and then started again and had forgotten most of what had happened earlier.

But aside from that, it was easy enough to follow what seemed to be the main plotline.

Can't really recommend as not sure if understand, but I liked the writing enough that I'm willing to pick up more of Marta Randall's books on sale, which was the purpose of my buying this first one to begin with.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote