View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #70
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
@sillypoint

There are different mobi formats. The older formats up to mobi6 and the new mobi8/azw3.

The latter has been added since the introducion of new generation kindles (Kindle Touch/Non Touch, Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Fire). Even Kindle Keyboard latest firmware supports it (not sure about DX)..

As far as I know, if you're reading a old format mobi with an eInk kindle, the soft hyphens trick does not work (even if you convert a soft-hyphenated ePub to mobi).

New kindles (I see you own a K4NT so this is your case) can read mobi files tailored in three ways:
  1. old format (mobi6, not supporting soft hyphens but compatible with any kindle device)
  2. new format (mobi8 supporting soft hyphens)
  3. "mixed" format (with both mobi6 and mobi8 versions)

They can also read the AZW3 format which is by all practical means a "new format" mobi with a different extension.

If you convert an hyphenated ePub to the "mixed" mobi format you will see hyphens on your reader because just the AZW3/mobi8 part is used. The AZW3 renderer on the kindle is indeed a distinct application.

In short:
  • convert your mobi to ePub;
  • add soft hyphens using the plugin;
  • and convert it back to mobi ...
    • click on "mobi output"
    • select "both" (or new) on the "mobi type" drop down menu in the "Kindle output" section
  • ... or convert to AZW3 (which is actually "pure" mobi8);
  • Upload back to your kindle;
  • Read!

Enjoy!

P.S.

Kindle Touch and Paperwhite owners can happily jailbreak their device and install JBPatch which adds "true" hyphenation support for old format mobis. This patch gives actually more than hyphenation and I can't use my kindles without it!

However it has a limitation: it can't hyphenate the newer mobi format and that's why this plugin is needed anyway!

Last edited by pirl8; 03-30-2013 at 06:40 AM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote