View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #53
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleSteeve View Post
Totally new user here. Even misspelled my name when I registered.

I got a Kindle Fire HD for my birthday in October. I experimented with downloading books from Project Gutenberg. At first I didn't have WiFi so I downloaded a book and "sideloaded" the file into my KF. It worked but I had mixed results on later tries. My first try ended up with the proper title but others that I tried to load into the KF ended up with the generic cover and no title at all. I was told to get calibre. I found that when I searched Amazon for Calibre I found Calibre Companion which had a note saying that it was not compatible with Kindle Fire. Another posting steered me to the regular website and I downloaded Calibre for my PC (Windows XP). I tried another Gutenberg file and was able to change the cover (at least I think I was) but was totally unable to get the book onto my Kindle Fire HD.
This is a cover size issue you need a large cover for the cover to show up. I am using 1066x1600 and it works great.

As for getting books on the KFHD there are many ways you can use USB or Dropbox or LAN through ES File Explorer.

You might want to check Amazon to see if they have the book for free though. They have a ton of free domain books. Another place to look is right here at MobileRead you will want the mobi format for your Kindle. Sideloaded books goes into the Books folder on the KFHD.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote