View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I have Windows 10 running on a Yoga 2/11 laptop plus a Mac Mini 2012 via Boot Camp. I hate it. I liked Windows 7 but from Windows 8 on I hate it again. I hate how they force updates and changes on your computer. I hate the constant rebooting to install useless updates. I hate that they change your settings all the time. And most of all, I hate that they keep bleeping up my drivers. The only reason I even run Windows is for programming a few amateur radios that cannot connect to Macs. Some of these require old drivers in order for the cables to be recognized. It is a royal PITA to have to search for and replace the newer crappy drivers Windows 10 insists on installing. Yes, you can tell Windows to bleep off, but the next time an update is installed it will change those settings and the working drivers will get blown away.

I also use a few astrophotography apps that only run in Windows. Two of the three apps no longer work correctly since they have not been updated in years and Windows now won't support them very well. They were written for 32-bit processing, so they crash a lot. The one that still works was written for 64-bit processing and can better handle the large amount of memory required to process over 2 GB of images at once.

For me Windows is merely a necessary evil I must occasionally deal with. You would think more apps would be written for Macs since they now have much greater numbers than they did years ago, but that is not the case in amateur radio or astrophotography.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-10-2017 at 01:01 PM.