View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post
Does a div satisfy that vertical consumption? I'm working with a div starting after every page-break right now -- then the h# element occurs. (Or img or ul, etc.) If it does, then probably it won't be an issue for me -- but it is important to know, for when I'm not using divs like this.
I'm not sure what you mean... immediately after a page break, all vertical space should be collapsed and discarded, but only the space before the next element's content (which can be an empty div). So, if you have a pagebreak and then an h1 with top margin, the margin will be ignored; if you have a pagebreak and a div with an h1 inside, both top margins or the div and h1 will be discarded (I believe), but if the h1 is outside and after the div, then the bottom margin of the div and the top margin of the h1 will be displayed.

Quote:
I've been thinking about using hr for manual page breaks, but the more I consider, the less I like it. Almost empty divs don't excite me either. I feel like I'm missing an obvious something-or-other...
I don't like the empty divs either, but I only use them in my ePUBs when I want a manual page break inside a file, which is not often (usually page breaks are between two files/chapters, which is fine).

You could use padding, which is not discarded after a page break, but of course, padding is not margin if you have backgrounds or borders.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote