View Single Post
Old 06-23-2006, 11:45 AM   #8
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Hi,

With a standard Nokia, 2005 OS and Evince, (no extended memory using swap), it is still too slow for me to read pdf's. I have not tried small files (under 1 Mb), and I am waiting now for 2006 OS to maybe implement swap, so with the new OS and with swap it may be better.

To read pdf's/scans I use jpg's 480x800, embedded into blank html (Fbreader reads those files) and rendered at lower quality so I have about 20-50kb per image.

For all fiction books it works page to page, for technical books, sometimes 1-1, sometimes 1-2. It is unbelievable fast since you access an image at a time, but you cannot jump between pages. I guess that you can insert chapters inside the html, but I have not tried. I have books up to 2000 images (100MB) and it works nicely. I read about 6 full novels this way in the past 2 months including a 1000 page one.

The conversion is fast at about 20 minute per book, using some free windows programs (Xnview, rnmaster, ghostview) and the time is spent more to organize things since Xnview is very fast at batch converting images.

Liviu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin
How well does the 770 handle PDFs ? Are they fast ? Will it die trying to load a large pdf? I've a number of books and papers in PDF and am hoping the 770 will make them a bit more accessible.

Cheers,
Gavin
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote