View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #30
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not the Kobo owner doing the embedding. It's the publisher doing it. And in most cases, it is done via the body CSS style.

For example, the book 11/22/63 uses embedded fonts and very well too. But the main font used is selected in the body style. The book uses a number of different fonts and the eBook follows this to give a similar look and it works very well. This is a case of yes, you do want the embedded fonts as overriding the fonts will not work as well.
I'm surprised you are using this book to make your point. I have a copy of it and, as I'm sure you know, the embedded font for main body text is 'Garamond 3 LT Std' which, in my personal opinion, is way too light on an eink device.

Nevertheless if I want to read it in this spindly font all I have to do is select 'Document Default' from the font list -- as I believe I already said above. In what way is this a 'bug'?

In real life I will select one of my own sideloaded darker fonts from the font list. I can even choose one which is similar to Garamond if I wish.

Whichever of these 2 methods I choose, all the other (30 or so) special fonts embedded in this epub display exactly as the publisher intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do sometimes embed when the eBook has enough smallcaps and I want them displayed correctly and not simulated.
Me too. I currently have no problem embedding a small-caps font, or preferably, css-referencing a sideloaded one on my Kobo Glo.

The Kobo has several quirks/faults but in my experience to date, custom fonts is one of its greatest strengths not weaknesses. To repeat myself, I do not experience the 'bug', which I have seen you quote in multiple threads, on the epub you yourself quote as a prime example of the bug. Do you actually have access to a Kobo to test these bug theories or is it guesswork?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote