View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 02:59 AM   #254
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by book.p View Post
I bought the Kobo glo yesterday, and it's the reason why I'm posting here on mobilereads for the first time. This is my first Kobo reader, and I'm thinking of returning it.

As soon as I plugged the Glo in to set it up, it froze for over 30 minutes. It finally rebooted, but then went through multiple updates. When it prompted me to sign in to my account, the device reset itself and I had to go through the update process once again.

So by the time I could actually use the device, I was very grumpy and frustrated by the long process. But what I'm most unhappy about is the quality of the e-ink/font. As you can see from the images, words are fading in random areas, letters have different weights to them and it just looks very shoddy.

Is the poor e-ink down to the device itself, or the firmware? What I do love is the light, and I'm happy with how quick the page turns are.

I'm debating on whether to get a replacement, or simply get a refund and go back to my Kindle Touch until the Kindle PW is released in the UK. I am wary, though, of getting a replacement and having the same issues with the font.
I'm sorry you're having such a horrible experience. That's just not nice at all. New things should be fun and work right away. Very dangerous if it doesn't, as, like what happened with you, it puts the user off and creates distrust in the device.

As for the font issue, have you tried the other fonts? Does it happen with all the fonts? Does it always happen in the same area of the screen (I can't see it very well on your second picture), or does that vary? And, does it happen to all books or just the one example?

If it happens with everything everywhere it's probably the device. I haven't read or heard anyone else have this issue, so in my opinion it would be worth giving the Kobo Glo another chance by exchanging it. Your device is faulty, it's hardly fair to swear off the Glo completely because you were unlucky enough to receive a broken one. Having said that, I do understand your frustration and wanting to stay on the safe side. Good luck.

UPDATE: Book.p, a similar font thickness issue has been reported in the link below. Advice given was to try and set page refresh from 6 to 1 (from within advanced settings in the book menu). https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...88#post2259291

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrXca View Post
I concur, not really sure how, maybe on the page refresh check the battery level and if at X level popup a warning, but how often does this pop up? and many other tiny details (always love this kind of 'simple' additions, always more complicated than they seem to be...)
Mmm yes. I'd say, have it show up only once. Say, once at 20%, the user can say "OK" and the popup disappears. Then again at 10%, then 5%... and then maybe 2%? And after that if it switches off without any power, it's just the users own fault for being too lazy to get up and find a cable to charge.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 10-11-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote