View Single Post
Old 12-26-2004, 04:33 PM   #8
malweth
malweth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.malweth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.malweth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.malweth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 1gen
I'm another "loyal" palm user who's made the jump to the Pocket PC world... Some of you might find interest in my PDA history:

I used a Palm IIIx throughout college. Batteries and a slowly dying pda sent me to the Handspring Prism. I loved using the SmartMedia card with it once 3rd party support for it came (my wife still uses this set-up, but she doesn't use her PDA as much - just for ePocrates as she's a pharmacist). Eventually the prism battery wouldn't take a charge and I got my Palm Tungsten|T - interestingly the T|T was free because the Handspring was still under warrantee (and no longer being sold).

Finally, I got pissed off at my half-working Tungsten. The T|T (1 through 5) has had power and button related hardware problems and my unit was no exception. The power button stopped working for a while, and eventually the unit degraded until it would turn itself off and on randomly (sometimes repeatedly, and once or twice non-stop for days at a time).

When I read in forums that the later tungstens had the same problems, I decided to be rid of the Palm line and researched other Palm-source brands. I'm not a big fan of Sony (I use SD not memory-stick) and there aren't many other reasonable choices out there.

At this point I looked into the PPC devices. I'd always heard about compatibility issues and lack of software. Although there is less software for the PPC, the average quality seems to be better (which makes it easier to find the A+ applications). Any compatibility issues (ARM vs. other processors) seems to be non-existant with the new PPCs. I also liked the compatibility with Outlook (which I use at work and home). Once I confirmed that there were Go (game) applications for PPC, I was decided.

I now have a Dell Axim X30 (high) thank's to Santa Claus.