View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 05:47 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalebarde View Post
Until now - before installing calibre - I have had an orginized directory tree with many pdf and chm. If I use the "Add Books" fonction, will it actually make a copy in another place ("the storage location you specified") ?
Yes. The storage location being the library folder Calibre asks for.

Quote:
If I choose my directory root as calibre bookshelf, am I going to get a mess ?
Yes. Don't do that. I think Calibre even warns against that when creating a library.

Quote:
I wouldn't like that it change my directory tree not the place where my books are, nor have two or more copies of my books.
So my question is : how does "Add books" works exactly ?
Like it advertises in the help text you referenced: It copies the book into the Calibre internal library, reads the metadata and enters the book into its own database. The book it copies from is left untouched.

Quote:
My wish would be it keeps every book at the place they are and put their path in the database.
That's not possible with Calibre. You do have a few options, though:
  • Use Calibre to access your books and (this is important) don't touch the library folder
  • Use Calibre to edit the metadata to your liking and export the books to a second folder structure that you can access as you like. You can very flexibly specify the layout of this structure in Calibre. You still shouldn't touch Calibre's library folder.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote