View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 07:18 AM   #20
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbschenkel View Post
Hi Nicolas. Thanks so much for your work. As I suspected, once you add scraping to the equation it becomes 80% of the code. :-)

I was planning to do this later because honestly I won't be the audience for this feature — when I download covers, I already determined the ASIN and I want the cover for that specific edition, and that edition only. But since you were kind enough to contribute with the implementation, I can incorporate it now.

Is it OK with you if I incorporate your code in the plug-in? Let me know how you want attribution.

I will improve upon this to scrape Goodreads as well since Amazon will not always show you old all existing Kindle editions, but Goodreads usually does. I will make it configurable so you can enable/disable them individually.

How does that sound?
Yes, I was surprised as how little code you used to download the covers (there might be a shorter way to code what I did since I'm no professional)!

Of course you can incorporate it, I made a pull request on github if you're OK with my additions.
For the attribution, you can just put my name as a contributor
Also I didn't add a license since there was none, but you should add one (GPL v3 is commonly used)

A setting would be a good idea if you add more sources (I already added one to choose the number of covers to download). And amazon might not even be needed if the goodreads database is enough (if I remember correctly goodreads is now owned by amazon)

Quote:
Scrape Goodreads for the ASIN or scrape Goodreads for the cover?
For the ASIN, if you want to get the covers the Goodreads metadata plugin already does this.
And thanks for the feedback!
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote