View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 04:15 AM   #24
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I owned an N810 for a bit and used FBReader a lot while I did - actually, FBReader was the hardest thing to give up when I decided to get rid of the N810 becuase of what I felt were flaws in the hardware and OS that were unacceptable in a $400+ device. The N810 is a terrific ebook reader to my eyes, and I could read it for hours on end without problem. When reading on an LCD screen I tend to set the background to black and text to white and find that this makes reading a lot easier.

The downsides of the N800 series for ebook reading, as others have noted, are the battery life and ability to read outdoors. So far the SR 500 I just got is far better on both of those counts. For my reading habits I like being able to charge up my reader once a month and not worry about making sure it's got a fresh charge every morning as I head out the door. And reading in the park, on the beach and other outdoor locations is one of the main reasons I wanted to get an ebook reader, so the SR 500 works best for me. Then again, I don't need a lot of contrast since I started reading ebooks on a Palm III, and the SR 500 reminds me of that experience.
I have to pretty much agree with your comments. I too expected much more from the NIT. But since I spent around $200 I am happy with it serving me for web access on the fly as well as a good ebook reader. I would not recommend the N8x0's for the none tech sort of person. I opt'd for the N800 over the 810 because I did not care for the built in keyboard. I also preferred the significantly higher memory potential, up to 64GB, on the N800. That is if if you can afford the 32gb SDHC cards... Still I have now 32GB of space on my N800. Had I been aware of the N810's display being transreflective I would have at least looked closer. But the memory thing would tend to sway me more toward the N800.

For my background when using FBReader I don't often use a black background but rather a more paper like off-white color with black text. BUT, after reading your post originally, I have used a black background at night when I did not want to bother my 'better half' with the light from the display on the N800. Works GREAT. and I can make the text green so it feels like 1985 all over again...

For me the N800 works for my needs with the added bonus of a display that is easier for my eyes than any of the eink devices. BUT, I just read something that makes me want to open another thread. About whether current eink displays lose their contrast over time. If so that sure would explain why I was underwhelmed by trying the demo Sony 505...but at the same time it would sure keep me away from eink for the time being.

Started a thread about eink displays losing contrast here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...712#post183712

Figured it would be better to keep that a seperate question.

Last edited by brecklundin; 05-15-2008 at 04:23 AM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote