View Single Post
Old 01-13-2019, 08:29 AM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Sigil looks like a tool for highly custom ePub creation. I'm relying on Amazon & Smashwords making eBooks from uploaded MS Doc files. Also paper versions from PDF (different header, footer, margins, TOC style, "larger" images and some changes to some paragraph styles). Calibre is used for three things:
1) Import of Kindle ebooks (inc Mobi from gutenberg to halve the downloads) and convert to ePub.
2) Convert web page/site via copy/paste/edit to LO Writer to read as Mobi/AZW3/ePub
3) To proof my own writing (ePub) and distribute mobi & AZW3 to beta readers. Only some have ePub Apps on phone. All but one uses Kindles.

Calibre helps me track my books & PDF manuals. Simple way to add mock covers for drafts. Easy finding of covers for Gutenberg texts. Archive.org tends to be OCR and poor.

Sigil is simply too time consuming compared to Calibre. All my own source is edited in LibreOffice Writer (was MS Word till a few years ago). MS doc or docx is used for upload to Amazon, Smashwords, Agents, Publishers etc. A PDF from a differently formatted version is uploaded to POD for paper if applicable.

Amazon may have 90% of eBook market. Previewing that the source is sensible in Mobi and AZW3 on different real kindles and ePub is sensible on four ePub readers and ePub apps is useful. An actual ePub is only needed for upload to Google Books/Playstore and I'm probably not doing that now. Google's share of eBooks via Playstore seems tiny and a very toxic company?

I certainly won't give Amazon any exclusivity.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote