View Single Post
Old 01-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Only one? Much too hard. How about three, spread across the last century?

Kim, by Rudyard Kipling. Available in a nice edition I put together, here on Mobileread. First published in 1901.

Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C. S. Forester. Unfortunately not yet available as an ebook. First published in 1950.

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. First published in 1998.
Excellent, thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns4Hire View Post
Ill second Rudyard Kipling with Captains Courageous. Figured 1897 was close enough to 1901.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
"Fingersmith" by Sarah Waters.
Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
'The Grapes of Wrath' by John Steinbeck
More food for thought. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbagsh55 View Post
"Talking God" by Tony Hillerman (RIP) would be the one non SF/Fantasy book I would choose if I was sent to a desert island with only the one book.
I'll be checking these out later tonight. Thanks for playing, it sounds promising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
The World according to Garp - John Irving or
Last Night in Twisted River

The Road - Cormac McCarthy or
No Country for Old Men

The Sun Also Rises - Hemingway

Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant - Anne Tyler
A nice selection outside of my usual haunts, thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystian Galaj View Post
If you liked Sherlock Holmes stories, nearly all Dr. Thorndyke ones (more scientific than Holmes) are available here.

I think lots of Edgar Rice burroughs books (Tarzan/John Carter) are here as well.
I downloaded these but wasn't sure how they would fare. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Thank to all who have suggested books so far.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote