Thread: MobileRead Discussion/Suggestion Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 07:07 AM   #322
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I would hope that length isn't the determining factor in the book club. If a book is good, I want to read it. If you feel a book isn't worth it's length, don't nominate it; or if it has been nominated, don't second and third it; or post some comments during nominating/voting that it it is too long and isn't a good read.
I'm certainly not proposing any rule change. If someone feels that a very long book would be a good choice let them nominate it. Let others decide whether or not its length stops them from seconding the nomination or voting for it if it makes it to that point. Not everyone has to read every book nominated. Oh, and what you suggest is really just what is going on here and in the November 2016 nomination thread.

This discussion was sparked by discussion of the books being considered for November 2016. I find such a contrast between Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari that attempts to cover the 70,000 year history of man in 414 pages and The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer that covers [primarily] German history over a approximately 45 year period. Not saying one is too sparse or the other overkill. Just that the contrast in notable and amusing.