View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 02:17 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliva View Post
Hello Quoth,
the reason i was considering uploading a mobi instead of an epub is that I cannot seem to succeed in validating the epub with epubcheck in Sigil. I always get a bunch of errors which with my very limited technical knowledge cannot understand or fix myself. I think a successful conversion to a mobi with kindlegen is a kind of verification and validation.
No, Kindlegen isn't decent verification and validation.

Try a simple document first with Libre Office Writer. Edit always odt, because opening an docx messes some styles etc as it always converts.

So do a 2nd Save As before quitting Writer in docx format and try that with Sigil and Calibre.

I've been doing this for years, using paragraph styles etc. You need to manually make a TOC in Writer.
1) Make sure only items for a TOC have paragraph style of Level 1 or 2. Everything else inc. Title etc is Body Text Level.
2) Create an Index with the Insert -> Index making tool, but edit so that Tabs with the dots and page numbers are deleted and it's manual.
3) Cut the Contents page(s) and paste into any plain text editor, select and copy past back.
4) Set a suitable Paragraph style.
5) In the outline window double click on each heading in turn to go to it and add a bookmark. Do NOT select a block (that's for Word style Forms), but insert a bookmark like ch1, ch2, etc. Not full names.
6) Block select each line of content and add a hyperlink, #ch1, #ch2 etc, rather than the long winded "in the document" GUI
I have keyboard shortcuts
Ctrl A = Anchor Menu to make or delete a bookmark
Shift End will select from cursor to end of line.
Ctrl K = Edit hyperlinK (Enter bookmark prefixed with # as Internet URL without the HTTPS://)

You can put the blurb, number of words and cover info in "Properties".
Have your Author name in the User Data in Tools -> Options.
Then the first time you import the docx, Calibre will use those.
Do NOT put a cover in the Book. Those are always added separately to Calibre, Amazon or Smashwords. Set "don't detect cover" in Calibre or a first image in the book will be used.

Always save an odt before Save As docx
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote