View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@please55 - Kovid wrote "Automerge does not move files to trash." Which implies that any files replaced by the Automerge operation are hard deleted.

He then wrote " Only deleting does that," I interpret that as meaning "Only Removing does that", i.e. a user initiated delete of a book from a library.

Finally he wrote "Auto-merge is off by default for a reason." My emphasis. As you've found out turning it on can result in data loss, that's why it's default setting is off.

If you turn Add Books->Automerge... off, calibre will pop a dialogue if it detects a book already exists with the same title as the one its about to add, the dialogue has several buttons as to what to do about it.

I suggest you save the FR version somewhere, restore the lost EN version from backup and then decide on you want to do with the FR version.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote