View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 12:05 AM   #11
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
Technically, I'm not, nor have I ever been on a diet.
Diabetes runs in my family, so I have adopted the lifestyle.
I haven't had a drink in 5 years.
Only whole grain pasta, no more than once a week.
Brown rice, never white.
Limit sugar intake.
You can pick up a diabetic diet book anywhere.
Minor changes, big results: 35 lbs. lost. No weight gained back.
There's a lot to be said for the lifestyle thing, rather than a diet. We try to get at least 30 minutes a day on the treadlies and have done for the past 10 years, that may be why I am not really fat. This calorie counting thing is just a small adjustment that is required to bring my expanding body back under control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Be careful not to under-eat too. I always had trouble sticking to a diet because the points pr calories or whatever would freak me out, so I would under-eat during the day in order to 'save' calories in case I needed them later. The result was that I became starving at about 4 pm and did not stop being starving for the rest of the night. I could stick with the diet for a few days, but then I would go out or something and that would be that.

I read a great book that suggested having 3-4 meals a day of 400 calories---no less. They presented some scientific mumbo-jumbo about how 400 calories was the optimal amount to eat at one sitting. I have given it a try, and it's working. It was a struggle to get in 400 calories at breakfast (I am not a huge breakfast eater) but I have been planning carefully and getting in 3 proper meals (400 calorie) and 2 200-calorie snacks. Some of the meals/snacks have not been the healthiest food, but as long as I stick to the calorie goal, I am on plan---so going out for coffee with Dad and having a cookie is allowed, without breaking the diet, which is great! So far, 1 pound down but I haven't been exercising. So that should speed things up a little when I do.

Yeah! undereating can be a problem, particularly if you get over hungry later. I used to forget to eat if I was really busy. Didn't make me over eat later, but I got too skinny and wasn't well. I was living on cigarettes and chocolate bars. Now I have meat/fish/chicken and veges mostly and maybe pasta every couple of weeks.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote