View Single Post
Old 10-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
rireed3
Connoisseur
rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rireed3 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BeBook 1, Cybook Gen3
Gen3. I have a new choice, BeBook, if I give up on Bookeen.

I think I like (don't have enough money for lots of comparisons):

The hardware works. No fading in sunlight.

The software, such as it is, works and doesn't get in my way. I get along without much freezing. It has zoom and deals ok with PDF in landscape.

What I don't like:

I'm a little worried about fragility -- E-Ink screens break if twisted, and Gen3 is too thin to resist twisting. I had to build my own cover to save £20.

Software is outdated. DRM isn't going away soon and the world, especially in Europe is going epub for DRM. The lack of directory support is becoming inconvenient. Reports of Opus epub firmware not supporting multi-level Table of Contents are discouraging.

Bookeen has shown either inability or no desire for communication with customers. In my view they have lied to Gen3 owners about an epub upgrade to keep them from buying other machines and dumping Gen3 on auction sites. This and the silence lead me to believe that Bookeen is in some kind of legal or financial bind, as no trouble-free business would behave in this manner. BeBook came out with separate epub and Mobipocket firmwares eight months ago. Bookeen gave out a beta of theirs 4 months ago in Paris, so the problem cannot be technical.

Richard
rireed3 is offline   Reply With Quote