View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 01:31 PM   #99
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Pointing at that it only has 4096 colors is accurate but not complete because there are 16 brightness variations in each of those colors. True it is not as bright as a backlit screen but the color range of 16 bit color and even 24 bit color not only includes different colors but also the brightness variation in individual colors. I think there is some tuning in the software still to be done to integrate the 4th pixel into the other three.

I was glad to see that the controller itself can do some dithering of subpixels to improve the resolution of the display. Only by looking at the device itself will show how successful it will be.
Success will depend upon the content to be viewed. You might be able to fine tune brightness and increase the brightness of the display, but unless you can increase the total number of colors substantially, there will be whole classes of color material that will be disappointing viewed on one of these displays. (Think fine art reproductions and photography. In the former case, I think I'd almost prefer a well dithered gray-scale conversion to what this will do to a color original.)
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote