View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 10:16 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowwoods1 View Post
I think I did it! It wouldn't let me add the same EPUB file to Calibre, despite my renaming it. So I convert the same EPUB from the Calibre Library to a new EPUB. It renamed the old one as the Original EPUB. I made some changes removed by the conversion, and lo and behold, it took. The EPUB file in the Calibre Library has my latest changes!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, BR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowwoods1 View Post
OK. I figured out what it is. If I go into the CSS and make changes/add some styles, the changes don't save to the Calibre Library, even though I ran the check and everything seems fine. I guess the only way to keep all my format changes is to convert EPUB to EPUB, so it would rewrite the stylesheet the way it can accept.
No, that is not the case. If you use the calibre editor, any change you make should be saved to the file. In one sense, calibre doesn't care what is in the files. You can format the stylesheets or text files whoever you want, put whatever you want in them. The editor will happily save this and show them when you open in the editor again. It will only be when you try to read the book, or run an error checker against it that you will see the problems. I have save plenty of books with weird stuff in them, both deliberately and accidentally, to know that this works.

Looking back at the thread, the most likely thing is that you forgot to save the changes before exiting. Or the MAC is doing something the block the changes from being saved. The timestamp of the file will be update when you open the book in the editor because calibre updates the metadata before opening the file.

And, as you mention conversion, don't forget how this works. If you do an epub-to-epub conversion, it saves the the epub as an original_epub. You can then edit the converted book. But, if you do another conversion, it will use the original_epub as the input and wipe out all of your changes.

The only other thing I can see is to ask how you are opening the editor? Are you doing this from inside calibre? Or, as it seems, are you opening the folder the the book is in (you mention tapping "o") and opening it from there? The reason for this question is that you mention that "it also opens the Apple Books before it opens the file". That makes me think you aren't using calibre to directly start the editor, and it makes me wonder if Apple Books is getting in the way. Maybe Apple Books is copying the book to its storage and then opening that copy in the editor. If that is the case, then the copy of the book you are editing is not the copy of the book that you have in the calibre library. Hence your changes are not saved back to it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote