View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 03:55 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The short answer: Set the power off to never. You will be happier and you probably won't notice the difference in battery runtime

I have done most of those experiments over the years. Not with the Clara HD, but with one of my Kobo devices. The short answers are:

If the device is awake, it will use more power than if it is sleeping. It is noticeably more.

If you are actually reading (turning pages) it uses more power than if the device is just sitting there awake.

The faster you turn pages, the more power is used. And if you really want to chew through the battery, page through the library.

Having said that:

In all the years I have been using a Kobo ereader, I have always had the sleep set to 15 minutes and the power-off to never. How long this would last me is very hard to estimate. I tend to plug in daily for a least a few minutes. But, the last time I really tried, I worked out I was going to get two or three weeks with my Touch when I was reading about two hours each day. That was estimated by not connecting the device for a week and seeing that I had used about one third of the battery.

With my new Clara HD, I seem to be getting about 3% battery usage overnight. That is, from the time I disconnect from the PC until I look at the battery usage during my commute in the morning, it uses about 3% battery. During this time, there will be at least one hour of reading, the light is on, WiFi is enabled, the nightly automatic sync will have taken place and an elapsed time of about 8 hours (yes, I should sleep more).

Overall, I don't think the power saving of turning these devices off is enough to make up for the inconvenience of waiting for it to start up. And I don't think plugging in every couple of days is particularly inconvenient.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote