View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #7
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That's for sure. They're taking full advantage of last year's technology. I doubt Apple has anything to worry about.
tubemonkey,
I beg to differ. Last year I bought a 32GB 4th generation IPOD Touch from my good friend Amazon. It was about $270. (Retail $300) It is dearly loved by the person that got it but not me.

Nice machine except for two things, it has a little 3.5" screen just like it's big brother the IPHONE, and you have to deal with the iTunes store. A another relatively minor thing is it flicks in and out of the WiFi too much It always comes back in without work, but then a little later it goes out again.

I am the one that set it up and answers questions about it, so I am quite familiar with it. I hate the file system. I hate the iTunes store. The 3.5" screen is far too small, multi-finger sizing not withstanding.

A nice 5" pocket-able eReader. Color touch screen back lit $269
These Galaxy devices are larger, particularly the 5" baby. I won't throw big bucks at the Note smartphone just to have a larger IPOD Touch but I can handle the price for the Galaxy 5" player. and hey, no iTunes store.

More on these devices.
I had a feeling that the niche between 4 1/2 and 6 inches (shirt pocket size) would be filled.

It turned out the Galaxy Note 5.3" was only a smartphone and would be too high a cost.

Now Galaxy has done it's thing again and filled a spot with an announcement for 4 and 5 inch media tablets to be available Oct 16, 2011

http://www.mobileburn.com/news.jsp?Id=16757

Samsung Galaxy Player 4, 5 hit the U.S. on October 16

News by Dan Seifert on Monday September 26, 2011.

Samsung has announced that its Galaxy Player 4 and 5 media tablets will finally hit U.S. shelves on October 16. The Galaxy Player personal media devices run Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread and feature access to the Android Market for apps.

The Galaxy Player 4 and Galaxy Player 5 will be available for purchase on October 16. The 4 commands $229, while the 5 costs $269.

\\\\\
more ---

http://www.talkandroid.com/63140-samsun ... r-the-u-s/

We are at the Samsung Galaxy Portfolio, and they just announced the Galaxy Player 4.0 and 5.0 will be available for pre-order starting September 27th and nationwide starting October 16th. The Galaxy Players are WiFi only devices that give you all the functionality of Android for those looking for a “personal media player” type of device.

The Galaxy Player 5.0 will have a 5-inch WVGA TFT LCD (800×480) and the Galaxy Player 4.0 will have a 4-inch WVGA TFT LCD (800×480). Both will come with Android 2.3.5 and a 3.2MP front camera along with a VGA front camera.

A lot more details are available at those two urls above.

Last edited by frahse; 09-27-2011 at 01:21 AM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote