View Single Post
Old 09-01-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
The article basically is just suggesting improvements on the basis of font diversity and cover design. Those are issues that may in fact be remedied in the future.
True. Assuming either:

1) foundries stop being paranoid about their expensive high-quality fonts.
2) customers accept DRM formats instead of stripping them (in which case font licensing is a non-issue due to legal "embedding")
3) nothing changes except customers' qualms about "illegally" extracting expensive high-quality fonts from the DRM'd eBooks they purchased in order to use with the (possibly already also illegal) de-DRM'd eBook.

Quote:
The things I worry about:
a) being complacent with low-quality e-paper
Remarkably, my impression is that this is one area where consumers do actually expect meaningful improvements.

Quote:
b) ignoring advanced book typography (including general novels)
Fortunately I do not see this being a choice that is influenced by customers. Publishers can and do get away with printing utterly garbage books, and they still sell... sometimes exceedingly well.

But despite that, respectable publishing houses still put reasonable efforts into the quality of their products.

As you know, my expectation is that eBooks will follow down that same road once the market matures.

Quote:
c) focusing on gimmickry rather than on qualitative improvements
Methinks, that ship has sailed.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote