View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 03:54 AM   #330
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I did buy 2 books recently. Both were worthy purchases.

Wild horses couldn't have dragged me from purchasing if [tribe] = by Gary Ballard. I've been waiting for this book as a completion of the Bridge Chronicles, the first two of which I've already read. So I'm forgiven.

Next I bought White Tiger by Aravind Adiga simply because 3 people said something good about it, it was a Man Booker winner, it was an Indian author and it was only $5.70 at Amazon. All these sound like perfect justifications for me of course. But perhaps I shouldn't have been so trigger happy.
Now the first purchase sounds OK. The second sounds like addiction. How to tell the difference?

If the purchase is a book you've been waiting for, and that you want to read more than any other book in your TBR pile, so you'll be reading it within a day or two of buying it, a purchase is justified.

But if it's just an interesting sounding book at a reasonable price that's going to end up on your TBR pile for months or years, it's an addicition purchase. Much better to add it to a wish list. Wait for it to be in a sale or to otherwise be at a bargain price, rather than just a reasonable price.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote