Thread: Glo Kobo Firmware 2.3.1
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #246
clauclauclaudia
clauclauclaudia began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
orphaned words vanishing?

Hi, I'm totally new to the forums--please excuse errors of ignorance.

I got a Kobo Mini during the recent sale and it's updated to 2.3.1. I've seen bugs that others have mentioned here, but nowhere on the web have I found mention of the one I find the most annoying. (Perhaps widow/orphan protection prevents people from encountering it. These are not published e-books I'm reading.)

Short version: When the last line of a paragraph is alone at the top of the screen, and the last word is hyphenated, the latter part of the word just fails to display at all.

Longer version: I took .txt files (they had some annoying "smart punctuation" characters but I doubt that's relevant) and converted them in Calibre 0.9.11 to ePub. I don't believe I changed any conversion settings from the default except the ineffective "unsmarten" checkbox [and I assume that's on account of the file being .txt and not being expected to have smart quotes and such].

I then got the display issue above--final partial words of paragraphs going missing. I checked the txt and ePub files and the words are there complete and unhyphenated; this is definitely a display or hyphenation algorithm issue.

Thoughts? corroboration? cookies?
clauclauclaudia is offline   Reply With Quote