View Single Post
Old 08-01-2021, 05:11 PM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by celiapgt View Post
I'm trying to use an app for ePub reading in Linux that best fullfill the ePUB 2.x standard (I mean that I'm not interested in ePUB 3).

Which one do you recommend?
Thorium Reader is "decent" (and runs on all 3 major platforms):

https://www.edrlab.org/software/thorium-reader/

It's created by Readium, who is the company that designed the base EPUB3 renderer used by ADE (and others).

Quote:
Originally Posted by celiapgt View Post
Just to mention, I have tried KOReader, Foliate, ePUBReader, Calibre eReader, FBReader, CoolReader…
Most of these are non-standards compliant. They work by completely overriding most/all of the book's CSS, mangling things like:
  • Negative indents in poetry
  • Scenebreaks that use a gap instead of something like * * *.
  • Embedded fonts for rare characters (like the 🌔 Gibbous Moon)

I wrote about this in more detail in 2020: "Colored Text, EPUB, Android Dark Mode" + 2019: "Epub-problems in tablets".

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 08-01-2021 at 05:17 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote