View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 02:30 AM   #65
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Yes, but your 1 TB drive will likely fail within 3 years assuming constant use. (Mine just did, in fact.)
Yes, and the credit lottery that is public usage might lead to lost cloud data as well. ("Your card expired so we emptied your cirrus space because we assumed you ceased to exist.")

Hence the need to back up everything in three places, which loops us back to the topic at hind: inexpensive storage for maximum redundancy. Samsung 830 SSDs are getting cheaper all the time; NewEgg just baited them on sale hooks for $200, which clearly made them cloud competition. My 500GB 830's reliable as hell(o, Stygia) and faster than any hard drive or cumulus I've had the pleasure of cramming with my kitsch.

Besides, that jolly cloud isn't going to do you a lot of good when you're on sabbatical writing your next novel for several months at the Jack Kerouac House. A friend of mine just did that and needed her hard drive for entertainment as well as her project. Apparently, the Cloud was too distracted to help: it was busy engulfing the peaks of attractive mountains in its ethereal fuzz.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 02-23-2013 at 02:46 AM. Reason: It needed more antler powder.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote