View Single Post
Old 09-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I can see why the rewrite was such a big effort. Behind the scenes lots of code to access the database had to be rewritten to use the new metadata interface. Am I correct in thinking that this is part of the long term goal to support other types of library structures, beyond the current /drive/folder/file system?
Yes.

This project got started when I and Kovid started discussing how to redo the database/library interface to be general. We (he, really) quickly realized that we needed to find a way to do it stepwise. The idea that presented itself was to do an interface that incorporated custom fields, then be able to serialize that information to OPFs and calibre's cache. That is where we are now.

We (I) learned a great deal during this process. One example outcome was the move to table-driven data types (field_metadata). This allowed us to settle on a 'key' attribute naming structure, where the key is the one-true field name. This led to the attribute-level interface in Metadata. And so on.

The next step - refactoring of the library to use arbitrary storage, will probably wait a while. First, Kovid will drive that project, which is reasonable because he will need to live with it, and he is busy. Second, we probably should slow down the change rate of 'fundamental stuff', primarily so things don't get broken out of ignorance.
Quote:
If it's of any help, one more datapoint for you is: My first tests of saving files, using custom metadata to name the saved files, checking the custom metadata in .opf files and reimporting files with the custom metadata going back into the correct custom column have all been successful.
That is very good to hear.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote