View Single Post
Old 08-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #11
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I'm not so sure Apple was anti-DRM from the start. I remember seeing reports from some indie labels who asked to have their music DRM-free in the store but were refused.
Indeed they were. See the comment on the deal offered to the indies -- exactly the same as the majors. period. The issue was that Apple felt they couldn't afford to negotiate with all the different indies, not that they wanted the DRM in the first place. I too thought that Apple had missed the idea of just having a "DRM? yes/no" checkbox when submitting content. I found an interview some years ago with one of their legal guys who explained that it was a contractual issue with the majors, rather than being a technical issue.

But if you go back to the interviews and news pieces in the early days of the ITMS, you'll find that all parties publicly stated that Apple had pushed pretty hard for no DRM, and simply lost on that front. And they weren't against it so strongly as to skip the whole thing rather than accept DRM.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote