View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #76
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
This actually makes me a bit nervous about the future of our computing devices. The last thing I want is to be forced to choose between locked ecosystems. Yet even Microsoft is going in that direction. I hope they all fail.
The FCC, RIAA, MPAA, and other IP interests work with these closed solution providers to lock out less vigilent players. We just had the FCC allow cable companies encript all channels. Sony has introduced a new protection scheme that prevents BDs from being format shifted, and the Librarian of Congress says we can no longer format shift our purchased media.

If you're not locked into something, you'll be a criminal.

What should happen is that your licenses are transferred when you move from one closed system to another, but consumers do not have enough money to bribe, er, influence the politicians who make these laws.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote