View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
nairbv
Connoisseur
nairbv began at the beginning.

Device: still looking for an ebook reader device
If I were you I'd send the sony back. I wouldn't want to have to resist temptation to buy books from sony, which i would presumably eventually lose, nor do I want to deal with a company that acts like the rest of the world doesn't exist.

Obviously there's no "future-proof" drm, but at least mobipocket will also run on your palm, laptop, cell phone, and random other future devices you might buy. I won't buy anything that expects a one-format-to-one-device DRM model.

It'd be like if DVD's were a brand new invention and one company had a special size of DVD with patents on it so it couldn't be used in any other player besides the one they made. Would you buy the fancy special DVD player? probably not.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Hanlin v3. It currently has no DRM options (except some funny wolf format that I'll ignore). It supports lots of other formats, and maybe I'll try that convertlit thing you mentioned if need be. I think they're planning mobipocket support. Hopefully they'll support other DRM formats in the future too as they come out. If I like the v3 I'll probably buy their v9 too some day when it comes out.
nairbv is offline   Reply With Quote