View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 08:58 AM   #9
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladin View Post
Thanks for the comparison.

I could not live without my 700. I only use it for basic ebook reading when I am sitting outside and then an occasional read with the light before I retire at night. It is much quicker than my old 505 and handles pdfs much better. While certainly not perfect, I am about to buy a backup thinking it may be the only lighted option.
Well once you have acclimated yourself to a device like that, the problems others complain about sort of melt away. The human eye and the associated parts of the brain are amazing organs that will go to great lengths to reprocess and improve your visual inputs. So far that most people don't even realize that you can't see things in the dead center of your vision on a per-eye basis, there's simply no vision there, did you know? So it's no surprise that you can get used to the differences in the display, especially if you never had given extended thought to the differences anyway. It's easier to look past something if it doesn't concern you.

But me? I'm in this mode where I'm desperately looking for something that doesn't exist. I would just buy a the DR1000s or whatnot, but it's too much money, I can't justify $700+ for such a dedicated device. I can't even bring myself to consider the Kindle DX (though at this point, it fails some of my core needs so it's not a big deal.) So when I'm looking at any potential device, I've got such a focus on detail that the slight differences between screen appearance are just–pardon the pun–glaring to me.

I guess there is one positive side-effect to being dissatisfied by all these reading devices. It is helping me wait for technology improvements, and new rumored offerings such as the fabled apple tablet with my wallet intact
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote