View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmaxx View Post
Thanks for your thoughtful comments on the PRS-600. It confirms my impression that I need to wait just a little bit longer for beeing able to read PDF documents.
Yeah it's a big disappointment to me for a few reasons. One big one is that I'm a big gadget geek, I buy all kinds of gadgets, Sony would have my money over and over for these things if they would just get one half decent UI expert to review the stupidity they're slinging... argh! It's very close to good enough, but annoying enough to make me mad.

Another reason I'm disappointed is that I am a software engineer myself, so these sorts of bizarrely obvious mistakes in design just call out to me.

The earlier post about focus groups... I thought about that for a while and my speculation is that they focus-test, if they focus-test at all, with people who do not own eBook readers, and probably haven't really given much consideration to them. There is a valid reason to target people like this specifically because of the state of the eBook reader market at the moment. It's that crucial time where there's an apparent opportunity for large scale market expansion, so you have to focus your efforts on pleasing newcomers more than anything. There aren't many people to bother retaining at this point so frustrating those who have been waiting years for niche usage improvements... that's not going to be a priority.

Honestly if you're only reading novels, there's basically nothing to complain about with these devices, they all have their quirks, but they all do a more-than-decent job with regular eBook formats and even PDF's formatted for the smaller screen sizes.
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote