View Single Post
Old 06-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #16
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Mouse support in iOS 13 is like a finger support. Extra mouse buttons can be mapped to extra functionality like simulate a home button press but not specifically a standard right click.

If you click and press in an area, it acts as in finger: long press or longer press to remove applications.

Said that, iOS 13 has a lot more long press custom menus that work with fingers as well.
The problem with Apple is they have no clue about how to create workable and usable accessibility features. I applaud their determination and desire to help, but they need to actually bring in some folks with accessibility issues and spend a lot of time watching them try to operate iOS devices. Then discuss with those people some possible solutions and use them to test those solutions. I have pretty bad arthritis in my hands, and I can tell you that Apple's multi-finger interface is a royal PITA to use, and so it selecting text. Some of those gestures are basically too painful or difficult to use. I find that working on a laptop is so much easier, faster, less painful, and hugely more productive when doing anything other than what I will call browsing and surfing types of iPhone/iPad operations. It is a friggin' joke to try to edit RAW images in Lightroom CC for iPad compared to how easy it is on my MBP. It is a lesson in frustration and futility to try to create a spreadsheet on an iOS device. Even simple editing of spreadsheets is a PITA. So if they want to compete with MS Surfaces, they better consider giving us full mouse capability.

One of the best things I encountered in my years in the software industry was when I worked for IBM. We had a very nice usability lab in which we brought in volunteers to test out our software. We put them in the lab and then observed them trying to complete certain tasks we asked them to do. No IBMers were in the room with them, but a bunch of us were sitting behind a one way mirror watching them and using a lot of remote operated cameras to observe them and their computers. We had a person who talked with them via an intercom to prod them with questions or answer their questions and we recorded everything in notes and video. Our usability lab folks were great. I got to sit in on these usability tests on occasion, I was amazed at how much we learned. The software and hardware developers could learn where issues were, and even the Publications people could learn where the documentation was lacking or too confusing or even incorrect. Hopefully Apple has a usability lab system, but if they do they certainly need to learn how to better use it. As the prices for iOS devices skyrocket, more customers are going to demand better usability rather than the standard Apple way of telling us what we want and need.

Last edited by OtinG; 06-08-2019 at 10:51 AM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote