View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 02:24 PM   #48
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Sorry, but for most, this is a really silly (beside the point) argument. My entire eBook collection probably cost less than your Kobo Aura 1, so does that make the cost of an Aura 1 "super monumental" to me instead of merely expensive? I've seen some pictures of those green smudges on the Aura 1's screen. I don't really think this is something Kobo can afford to ignore and I don't see where it is helpful to try to sweep it "under the rug."
Yes, the green smudges happened. Yes, they only happened on the KA1 at that time (not many other ereaders with colour temperature control at that time).

Sadly, I've only seen them in images as none of the KA1's I've looked at have shown the problem. Looking at the poll on Mobileread, there were about 39% of the owners complaining about the issue. Is it still happening on a consistent basis? I haven't seen many recent complaints. Quite a few of the people who did complain also mentioned exchanging their KA1s for ones that did not display the screen problems. OTOH, there were those who complained about receiving multiple bad units in the same BaM store which suggests there were batches which exhibited the issue so that chances that all the units in a store came from a batch that had screen issues were good.

As I said, my collection cost me a lot more than my KA1. Perhaps you might want to share approximately how many books in your collection and what your average cost was? Even sticking mostly to $0.99 and $1.99 specials, it would take less than 200 books to exceed the cost of my KA1. Very reminiscent about the razor adage -- we'll give them the razor and make money selling the blades. Yes, I might be a bit anal in recording the costs of an ebook purchase in it's own column in calibre but it costs me a second per ebook and lets me keep track of my spending on them.

Do I think Kobo ignored the problem? Did it cost them money? If so, I suspect they would not have ignored the issue. As I said, the number of complaints from new KA1 owners that I've seen appear to have tapered off (not completely disappeared but fewer) which, to me, suggests that QC problem has been addressed. Have you seen any evidence to the contrary?

Last edited by DNSB; 01-01-2018 at 02:34 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote